Adventures in Oz

Thursday, February 10, 2005

First day of ANU

Today was international orientation today. By which I mean Lauren and I went late and skipped all the stuff she could tell me. I met up with Stephanie and Anna there though, it was nice to see some familiar faces!!!We sat through a couple of sessions, then went and grabbed "lunch" (sandwiches, kinda), then realized there was no where to sit and split. We went into the bookstore and found what books we needed. One of mine is $230!!!!!!! It's only recommended tho, so I'm not sure if I'll buy it yet or not. Then Lauren showed me where my classes were (all fairly close which is nice) and a couple of their libraries. I didn't take any pictures today, but i will shortly so you can get an idea of the campus. The atmosphere is very similar to VTs, very relaxed and the campus is simply beautiful! It's nice to feel relaxed on such foreign soil.
After this we walked to Civic, which is what the city centre is called. We walked around some of the shops and looked for vday gifts for her boyfriend, Thiru. I'm going to have to get used to walking tons again after 6 weeks of being really lazy, haha!
Then it was back to enrollin classes. We were supposed to do it tomorrow but the lines were really short so we just did today.I'll be taking:
  • Australian Wildlife (biol)
  • Physiology of the Nervous System (biol)
  • Developmental Psych (psych, with Anna and Katie)
  • Social Psych (with Lauren)

So not too bad of a courseload! Australian students generally only take 3-4 subjects, so this is a full course load. I'm really excited about starting classes, which I'm sure will only last about 3 minutes, but at least it will all be different! After enolling we were walking back to the carpark and ran into some guy who asked if we were international students. He had a question and then I asked him where he was from (he was obviously American) and he said... Virginia. Of all places, lol, small world afterall! And where in Virginia? Oh yeah- UVA! Stupid Wahoos! ;-) It was nice to talk to someone from VA though, comforting to know I'm not the only one over here!
Tonight we're having a barbecue with some of the Sander's neighbours, so I ought to go get ready for that! Love and miss you all! Oh, and a couple more pictures posted, so check out: 4 more pictures

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home